Do I Need Professional Fire Damage Remediation?
When a small fire occurs in your Council Bluffs home, you might be tempted to handle the soot cleanup personally. To the untrained eye, the damage might seem minimal. Most people assume once visible soot is removed, the odor will disappear. Unfortunately, fires can be fueled by different substances. A protein or grease fire will leave an almost invisible form of soot that can penetrate into wide-spread areas of a structure. These types of fire have a very distinct and unpleasant odor. Fire mitigation is best performed by trained professionals.
Store-bought cleaning agents are not sufficient to cut the odor of a grease or protein fire. Conventional methods of cleaning smear this type of residue instead of removing it. The technicians at SERVPRO® of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley are trained to remediate the different forms of smoke, soot, and odor infiltration. Some portions of your home structure may need to be removed, but the team at SERVPRO® of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley is committed to helping you restore those items that are salvageable.
We Are Here To Help
Any size fire in your home is a traumatic event. Call us at 712-256-6616 and let the technicians at SERVPRO® of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley handle the stressful task of fire damage remediation.
Prevent Flooding from Snowmelt
Western Iowa is known for extreme weather changes. Temperatures can vary 100 degrees between the summer and winter seasons. Even in the winter months, the climate can rapidly change. It is not uncommon to have a 60-degree day immediately following a heavy winter storm.
These extreme temperature changes make flooding a potential hazard in the Council Bluffs, Missouri Valley, and surrounding Iowa areas. The sudden melting of packed ice and snow can cause rapid runoff. If the ground is still frozen, snowmelt has no place to go and can find its way through the foundation of your structure. Homes and businesses located near creeks and rivers are at higher risk for flooding.
Some tips to prevent a flooded basement include installing a sump pump and making sure downspouts drain 20-30 feet away from your home or business. Hiring a company to professionally waterproof the basement is another option. Using a snow-blower around your home’s foundation and removing snow from the roof when it is possible to do safely are additional ways to limit snowmelt intrusion.
Call Us Today for Your Weather-Related Needs
Even when preventative measures are taken, your Iowa home or business may experience water intrusion. The team at SERVPRO® of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley is trained in water extraction and structural drying. Our employees are IICRC trained and certified. The IICRC sets the industry standard for the most up-to-date water mitigation practices. Rest assured, the team at SERVPRO® Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley will help make your water disaster “Like it never even happened.” 712-256-6616
Emergency Ready Profile
Did you know 50% of businesses that experience a disaster do not recover?
The best way to reduce business interruption following a water or fire disaster is to plan for it now. Pre-planning for such events facilitates faster mitigation. This lessens the impact of a fire or water event on your business.
SERVPRO® of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley offers a free Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) for your business. The plan compiles critical information needed to begin timely mitigation and recovery services. The ERP serves as a quick reference of important building and contact information. The plan offers:
- A no-cost assessment of your facility
- A connection to your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional
- A concise Profile Document containing critical emergency information
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin
- Facility details such as water and gas shut-off locations and other important contact information
Contact Us Today
SERVPRO® of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley is a leader in water and fire damage mitigation. We can help you get your business property back in working order. Do not hesitate to contact us for your free ERP. Our number is 712-256-6616.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley?
We are an IICRC Certified Firm.
SERVPRO of Council Bluffs / Missouri Valley is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley
SERVPRO of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Meet our team! https://www.SERVPROcouncilbluffsmissourivalley.com/employee-photos
Avoid Frozen Pipes This Winter Season
Avoid a Frozen Pipe Disaster
Iowa homeowners are no stranger to cold temperatures. Most of us know water expands when it freezes, but if this expansion involves a water line, you might face significant damage to your Greater Council Bluffs area home. A frozen pipe can crack and spill hundreds of gallons of water into your basement in a short amount of time.
Here are a few tips to help protect your home from the potentially harmful effects of freezing temperatures.
- Disconnect hoses from exterior faucets to prevent ice from backing up and damaging pipes inside the home.
- Shut off outdoor faucets at the shut-off valve. Then open the faucet and drain any remaining water from the pipe.
- Seal any cracks or holes in exterior walls through which cold wind can reach pipes.
- Insulate the garage if it contains water lines.
- Use a heat cable and pipe insulation on pipes that run through a crawl space, attic, or garage.
- Shut off the water completely when you leave town.
- Make sure you and your family know where the water shut-off is located.
When an Emergency Happens, We're Here to Help
No one is exempt from the potential damage a cold Midwest winter can cause. If you find flooding in your Iowa home due to the harsh winter season, call the team at SERVPRO Council Bluffs & Missouri Valley to assess the damage. We arrive quickly and can assist you on the road to restoration. Our goal is to make it "Like it never even happened."
We are here to help! 712-256-6616
Proper Drying is Essential in Your Iowa Home
Flooding in your basement never waits for your schedule.
Basement flooding in your home can occur regardless of your schedule. A flooded basement can be an overwhelming situation without the help of a trained professional by your side. Attempting to remediate the damage without the proper training and equipment can be both ineffective and dangerous. Homeowners should avoid the temptation of wading into a flooded basement. Wet-dry vacuums are helpful for small amounts of moisture, but they should not be used in instances of major flooding.
The industry standard for removing flood water is 24-48 hours. The technicians at SERVPRO of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley are equipped with moisture meters and scanning devices to locate residual water. Pockets of moisture can hide behind walls or within cinder blocks. Techniques such as drilling small holes in mortar joints, cutting through wallboards, or using long extraction wands from above ensure proper drying. The crew at SERVPRO of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley will provide proper equipment for adequately drying your home.
Call Us Today
If you have experienced flooding in your basement, do not hesitate to call the professionals as SERVPRO of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley. We are available 24/7 to meet all your unexpected water disaster needs. 712-256-6616
Are Conditions in Your Council Bluffs Home Right for Mold?
SERVPRO of Council Bluffs / Missouri Valley knows what to do if mold grows in your home.
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments. While mold and humans can sometimes co-exist without issue, there are certain species of mold that can cause health effects for some people.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof/chimney leaks, wet basements, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a prime target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home or business.
If you suspect mold, call us today at 712-256-6616.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley for mold remediation services.
Smoke or Soot in your Council Bluffs Home
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Council Bluffs / Missouri Valley will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 712-256-6616
Is your Iowa Home Prepared for the Winter Season?
Iowa snow and ice season is on its way.
The temperatures are dropping and soon snow will fall. A few tips can help protect your home from fire or water damage this winter season:
- Clean your gutters before the first snow fall. When gutters are plugged, melting snow can leak into your home causing water damage and the potential for mold growth.
- Make sure all exterior pipes are insulated with weather-resistant insulation.
- Disconnect all hoses from exterior faucets. Failure to do so can cause faucets to freeze and break.
- Maintain your fireplace. Make sure to have your chimney and flues cleaned before the first use.
- Change your furnace filter frequently.
- Make sure space heaters are at least 3 feet away from flammable objects including window blinds/curtains, bedding, furniture, and rugs.
Not everyone enjoys the colder months, but SERVPRO of Council Bluffs / Missouri Valley hopes these few simple tips will keep your winter season uneventful.
Your Iowa Business is in Good Hands
SERVPRO of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley is an IICRC Certified Firm. IICRC stands for The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification
IICRC Certified Firms Provide:
• Accurate and honest information
• Formally trained technicians on all jobs
• Continuing education programs to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry
• Liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident
• A written complaint policy to the Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration for the purposes of dispute resolution
The standards for the IICRC are reviewed and updated every five years to keep up with rapid advancements in technology.
SERVPRO of Council Bluffs/Missouri Valley specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial properties after a fire, smoke, mold, water damage, or biohazard incident. You can rest knowing our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. We can be reached at 712-256-6616